Kim Lucas Designs ~ Infused Creativity

Kim Lucas Designs  ~ Infused Creativity
Mixed Media and Creative Artist & Photographer

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

This Week's Art

Life is busy, but that doesn't mean I don't take time for art. All of this happened in the period of a couple day because I also working in my journal.  I often see the art of others and think.."wow, I'd love to know how to do that!" So you know what I do? I either dissect the project with my eyes and try to recreate my own version, or I find a tutorial online. A tutorial online? Yes, they have them for literally EVERYTHING!

I wanted to learn coptic stitching. Once I try something I'm pretty good with just knowing I know how now and I can re create them if I need to for other projects. It's always this "oh, this is just another thing" epiphany that the newest trend isn't the end all to everything art. I found the coptic stitched piece in my closet and it was begging for a cover so I cut up some thick cardboard with a utility knife and the painting ensued. This is the cover I ended up with. No particular design or idea was decided up front. I like to create as I go and add what feels right. I added the coptic signatures to the new cover with black strings tied at each stitch line. Not the easiest thing to do. I kind of like the black ribbons hanging here and there which add interest. I didn't at first but I've used the old leave it and come back technique with this one and so glad I did. 

 
I was inspired by the sky and stars to make a night sky/universe. I have not been a huge fan of watercolors, but let me tell you these are quality and they create texture and tack and they are beautiful in the pigments of the colors.  Layering of light from the middle, dabbed with a tissue, and layered some more, add splatter white and black dots and there you have it. I love how these turned out.
I have also been seeing a lot of the circle dot mandalas as I like to call them because that is so technically specific. (Bottom left). I started with white gesso on thick mixed media paper.  Then I painted circles using bring alternating colors. When those were dry I started adding the dots in similar colors using contrasting colors on each. Look pretty perfect and circular? Yes. Is it really? NO! Perfect imperfection for a fancy little circle of art. I used acrylic paint for this and the back ends of different sized paint brushes to create my circles. Thanks for looking hope you enjoy my work!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts and feedback welcome here!

Am I an Artist?

Yes. The answer is definitely YES! I have been creating artistically whether it be with a paintbrush and canvas, film and camera, or pencil ...