Kim Lucas Designs ~ Infused Creativity

Kim Lucas Designs  ~ Infused Creativity
Mixed Media and Creative Artist & Photographer

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Colored Pencils..the new gelatos/gelli plate/medium...

I have colored pencils and I don't use them much. They include clearance watercolors ironically the brand name is "Kimberley". Then I have the Derwent Inktense watercolors that I loved for awhile for watercolor purposes, because I don't water color either. I also have my crayolas, because well, I have a kid, and inside I am one too.

I recently had a chance to play with a friends Prismacolor Premier pencils. One little scribble of the pencil and I knew they were magic. Almost like a very soft gelato/pastel that was clean and pretty and easy to blend. I thoughtfully waited to purchase my first set until I found it on Amazon for $35 shipped. Super deal for the 48 set.

Well, today I was parusing Craigslist and just randomly scrolling through the art section. I have typed "Prismacolor" as a search before to no avail. This time I just happened to run across a picture, I even did a double take.  Prismacolor 72 set..(because my 48 clearly ISN'T enough), also I can't pass up a good deal.  I thought and thought and thought. The description said used only a few times and the person went digital. Perfect. Well I caved and glad I did. For $35 again....I picked up the 72 set for the price I paid for the 48 set both ridiculously cheap. Our 48 retails here around $70-100 and the 72 from $100 to $140...sheesh. I love a good deal. (Did you catch that part?!?!)

My only question was what colors would I be getting that would be different. I realized I would have 48 duplicates but knowing that I will be using these exclusively as my colored pencils if they wore down fast I couldn't pass up having a back ups.

I made a chart below based on pictures I took from the color selections on the back of the containers. There are in fact 24 "extra" colors and I figured those out by marking the colors that were duplicates with a number 2 ....THE #2.  Anyhow hopefully this is helpful if you need help deciding which set or both to get. :) Time to play.


72 set



48 set


*UPDATE*

I couldn't stop at making my own chart. I looked on the Prismacolor website and couldn't figure it out. After searching online I found the two following options for comparison color charts. I like the first one that is done for you so you can see ahead of time what is included before the purchase. The other one is just another fun way to play with your pencils. 







THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR YEAH!!!! (flails arms in the air like Kermit the Frog)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts and feedback welcome here!

Am I an Artist?

Yes. The answer is definitely YES! I have been creating artistically whether it be with a paintbrush and canvas, film and camera, or pencil ...